Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring Cleaning Alert

 
Most the time you think of Spring-cleaning you think of your closet, but what about your makeup?  I just got rid of my gemmed torn jean shorts because I finally realized I’m not twenty any more.  Makeup is no different, so maybe it’s time to let go of that glitter shadow or 5 year-old lip color also.



If your brushes look like they’ve been in a fight, time to let them go and get new ones.  We all have been guilty of not cleaning our makeup brushes enough so spot cleaning once a week with a brush cleaning spray gives you longer time between deep cleanings.  For deep cleanings, use a soft shampoo, I recommend a baby shampoo.  This prevents your brushes from carrying bacteria.  The better you treat your brushes, the longer they will last, but yes sometimes you will need to replace them from time to time.



If you have six makeup bags, narrow it down.  I use a great Laura Mercier Portfolio to store my cosmetics.  It has separate pouches for lips, for eyes, foundations and concealers, as well as section for your brushes.  I find the more organized I am, the less time it takes in the morning to do my makeup and we all know how important beauty sleep is



Mascara should go in the trash if it’s over six months old, foundation only lasts a year once it’s opened, and powder, eyeliner, lipsticks and gloss last 18 months.  Typically, most products on the box have a symbol with a number that signifies the number of months of how long that product will last.  It’s always a good idea to keep your makeup properly stored in containers, not on your bathroom counter, where the heat and steam from the shower can form bacteria and degrade ingredients.



If it smells… throw it away, if the color is off… throw it away, if the consistency is off… throw it away. Basically if you bought it in 1994, Throw It Away.  Trust me, I know it’s hard. I have very fond memories of my favorite Vixen lip color that was discontinued.  I tried to make it last, but reality set in that it smells and it’s time to find a new favorite color.  A good way to make your lipsticks last is to store them in your refrigerator.



If you’re not sure what you should get rid of and what you should keep, bring your makeup bag to your makeup artist and she/he will help you decide what products you should update.



Happy Spring Cleaning!



No comments:

Post a Comment